Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Top 5 World Problems

Top 5 Problems


  1. Water Scarcity
  2. Finite Energy Sources
  3. Terrorism
  4. Corruption
  5. Social Division

Top 5 Solutions

  1. Fuel Competition
  2. Harsher punishment for corruption
  3. Fair and proactive management of water resources
  4. International coalition against ISIS
  5. Fostering national unity and identity.


All of the problems I listed are severe, but I chose Water Scarcity as my number one due to the fact that we simply cant make more water. What the planet provides us is what we have. While we do have the ability to create more drinking water through desalinization and reclamation, this only works in certain areas and doesn't change the fact that there are to many people living in areas prone to drought. Without careful management of water supplies moving forward we may very well see some "Water Wars." The other problems I listed are urgent and important, but without sufficient water supplies civilization simply cannot exist. 



As for my solutions, I picked fuel competition as the most implementable because it has been implemented in certain areas like Brazil with great success. I am a firm believer in the free market, and the oil industry's monopoly on the transportation industry stands in stark opposition to the concept of a free market. It would take a small comparative investment to modify the majority of the road traveling fleet, consumer or commercial, to accept multiple fuel sources or sources other than petroleum. In fact the municipal buses in my area now run off of CNG. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Luke!
    Your Top five problems were very realistic. I reconsider not putting water scarcity on my Top 5 World's Biggest problems after hearing your concerns about it. I was always at the impression that desalinization and reclamation could solve that problem. Thanks for your insight! I'm definitely going to be thinking of that when using water from now on.
    Here's a link to my blog http://myufblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-5-world-problems.html

    ReplyDelete