Friday, January 22, 2016

Very Short Interview No. 1

The entrepreneur I interviewed is my boss, Chris Britt. She and her husband Gary purchased a Signs Now franchise 30 years ago and it is still in continuous operation to this day. Over the years they have owned three other Signs Now franchises in Tampa and Carrolwood but eventually sold those off, keeping their original. Chris manages the shop in person while Gary manages the finances.

First I asked her what set entrepreneurs apart, and after some consideration she said it was a determination to never give up even when times got tough. They were hit hard in '08 but managed to stay afloat, again through sheer determination. Next I asked what I should hope to learn to be a better entrepreneur and her response was time management. It is easy to get caught up focusing on a single task for so long that you miss your other responsibilities. Finally I asked her what she disliked the most about entrepreneurship and owning her own business and she came back quickly with "The long hours." I expected that response as Chris works late almost everyday, sometimes stretching into the wee hours of the morning. As an hourly employee I have the privilege of leaving at 5:30 regardless of the workload. She of course does not share this privilege and knows it is on her to ensure all of our work is done by the customer's deadline, even if that means picking up the slack herself.

I found this interview to be informative. Ever since I was first hired I have passively observed how she ran things. I have considered it to be a case study in how to run a successful business. This interview allowed me to make a more active observation and provided valuable insight into the mind of an entrepreneur.

No comments:

Post a Comment