Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Amazon Whisperer

The main revenue driver I have for my business is signage, as that is the product I am selling and the only way I can make money. This can be broken down among customer segments. As I see it I will be offering services on a B2C, B2B, and Wholesale level. This third revenue driver will be the focus on "Whats Next" for me.

This new service will allow me to enter a new segment of the sign market in the form of monumental signage. While my current experience as well as the current plans for my business primarily focus on the "Vinyl on a Rectangle" type of signage, I want to expand into the market for large, permanent signage. Entry into this market will allow sign shops around the country, similar to the one I currently work at, to sub-out the manufacture of these larger more complicated signs and ship the ready to install components to the company for an on-site install. This benefits both my self and my customer, regulations regarding sign installations vary from county to county and getting the required permitting is better left to the local shop doing the install. In exchange for not having to deal with this headache I am able to supply the components of a finished monument sign to the customer at a wholesale price, allowing both of us to make a good profit.

Amazon.com does not offer any sort of monument signage, nor would I expect them too. Instead I found a product relating to the services I intend to offer from the start:

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Magnetic-Signs--Quality-Magnets/dp/B00ATH42DA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1459096054&sr=8-7&keywords=magnetic+sign

This is a pair of 12"x24" vehicle magnetic offered for $39.99. The listing makes no mention of the thickness of the mag material nor of the process used to apply the copy (Cut vinyl, digital print, thermal print, etc.) so I cannot comment on the quality. This product has three reviews, all of them five stars. The listing for the product give a choice of sixteen colors and ten fonts. This is the primary thing I would change as I will not limit my customers in such a way. I have found that allowing a designer to use their creativity in addition to suggestions from the customer leads to the best signage. This product can be aligned to my business as it is very similar to what I will be offering but with the changes mentioned above.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Luke!
    While I am obviously not an expert in the signage industry or field, I was a little confused as to what exactly your "next" product will be. I got the general basis for what your general service is, but some of the field-based jargon got me confused haha. In general, it seems like you have a lot of expertise in your potential industry, and the research that you did on the next type of services or products you can provide is substantial. Good job!
    You can view my blog post at http://amunozent.blogspot.com/2016/03/amazon-whisperer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke!
    This is a really cool business and it's really neat to see you so passionate about it! I am a little confused on what B2C and B2B signs are but I am interested in finding out. You seem to have a lot of goals for your company and a lot of experience already under your belt. Thanks so much for sharing and good luck with the rest of the semester! Feel free to check out my blog at http://blessingsinablog.blogspot.com/2016/03/amazon-whisperer.html

    ReplyDelete