Sunday, February 28, 2016

Half-way Reflection


The behaviors I have used to help in overcoming the challenges of this course have concerned time management and over coming anxieties. The course schedule is not one I am used too. The majority of online classes I have taken have had all materials for the week due Sunday at midnight. This was a convenient schedule for me as I work full-time during the week. This classes schedule of course is spread through the week with assignments due at 9:00 p.m instead of midnight. This created problems for me early on as I often don't get home until between 6-7 and sometimes later. The other skill I have improved is overcoming the anxiety associated with being on camera and approaching strangers. I am normally a private person who does not use social media so this is out of my comfort zone.

One moment where I felt like giving up was during the customer interviews. I was only able to complete five but that itself felt like an accomplishment when it was over. Other times have come through the last two months just due to the work load and schedule but I believe I have adapted well and am optimistic about the rest of the semester.

Three tips that I would give to new students next semester would be: Stay focused; Don't procrastinate; and Plan ahead. Staying focused is vital in this course as even a day's inattentiveness can make you fall behind either with new posts or commenting on others. Procrastination is a problem that I know I face and many others do as well and over coming that is needed on this type of schedule. Finally planning ahead is need more in this course than others as an assignment requiring you to interview strangers can't be completed the night before or the day of. For these type of assignments I have needed to begin planning my schedule days in advance to get it done.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Luke!
    I really relate to the behaviors you mentioned. Especially because assignments are due at 9pm and not midnight. I wish that these assignments were extended to this time period, I don't really see how why they are due earlier. It is frustrating sometimes with a busy schedule. I also agree that there's a lot of anxiety associated with having to approach strangers. I don't like this component of this class, but it has made me more confident in talking with others. Check out my post if you have time: http://kristianasimon.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection-week-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke, I really agree with your behaviors and tips. I too struggled in the beginning of the semester with this classes turn in times and eventually learned how to get all the assignments done in a manageable time. Also, the tips that you listed are very true. You cannot procrastinate in this class because there is just so much going on in it. In all, this was a great half-way reflection! Feel free to check out my blog post on this!
    http://ent3003mt.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html

    ReplyDelete